Thursday, June 27, 2013

Eldar Wraithknight

The Eldar Wraithknight is an impressive kit. Standing over 9" tall and comes with a variety of weapon options. In game this thing is a beast. Modeling wise it is an open canvas.
I painted this one as a commission and was given certain details that is must have. To match the exsisting army the body needed to be blue, head needed to be gold, and if possible to add lightning.
The main body color was done with an airbrush. This was my first time painting lightning so I didn't want to go overboard with the effect.

As big as this thing is it overwhelmed my light box and the gloss was throwing off the camera censors, but I managed to get some nice shots.


Monday, June 24, 2013

Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team

Today I have the Cygnar Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team to show you. Finished up the base over the weekend and got them all ready to delivery to their owner. The Pressganger who had me paint these for his collection was impressed by the base I did for my Khador Widowmaker and asked for something similar. I went with a scene of an abandoned cottage. Each figure's base is done in a way that they are completely playable in game.
Wouldn't want to tangle with this group of pistoleers.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

The new and improved Geek Garage

"Like a phoenix rising up from the ashes..." That line might be a bit overused but it indeed works with this post. Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to bring your attention to the new Geek Garage site.

This new site is a compilation of the old GG hobby blog site and the Salmondworks forum. On the new site you'll find the same amazing hobby articles (some written by yours truly) and a new active forum that branches all across the Rocky Mountain range. As the community grows we hope to have various competitions and events. 

As for me, I will still use this blog for all my personal projects and various escapades at conventions. I will also strive to keep an update schedule of Mondays and Thursdays. Keep an eye out for more unboxing videos and subscribe to the youtube channel if you have not already done so. 


Monday, June 17, 2013

Eldar weekend

This weekend was filled with Eldar painting. Finished up painting the underside of the FW Vampire Hunter. That same owner also wanted some cosmic nebula on his new Crimson Hunter kit. And finally I assembled and painted the Wraithknight. Getting close to clearing out all the projects in my painting queue which is nice because San Diego Comic Con is a month away.

 This kit is massive and working with resin is very tricky with something this big.
 Purple and black are the main color scheme for this Eldar army. I went with a transitioning wave pattern.
The Wraithknight is TALL! It barely fits in my light box. Still need to add some finer details but the paint job is almost complete. 

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Unboxing: Iron Fang Kovnik

Here is an unboxing video for the new Iron Fang Kovnik solo for Khador.
Trying out a new format so this is the test run.
I hope you all enjoy.

Please leave any comments below.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Slaanesh Champion

Today I have a Slaanesh Champion to show off. I painted this miniature as part of a mini exchange challenge over on the Geek Garage blog. The challenging part was to try tying in a pink pallet for the overall piece. I went with a pink metalic look for the armor using a metal tint method.

Here is the finished piece.
Any questions or comments, please leave them down below.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tau and Cake (part 4)

Here is how I achieved the camouflage pattern on the Riptide.

Step 1. Basecoat the Riptide in GW Tau light ochre.
Step 2. I took a metal ruler and laid a strip of masking tape on it. Then used a sharp new xacto blade and cut wave pattern strips. 
Step 3. Mask of different areas of the Riptide keeping in mind not to have the mask too close to any other strip of tape. 
Step 4. I covered the Riptide with the second color with is a mix of ochre and GW Skrag brown. 
Step 5. Same as step 3 but also masked over the first layer of tape. This stage it is good to keep in mind what the final color areas will be. 
Step 6. Laid down the final color which was pure Skrag brown.
Step 7. After leaving the pieces cure in the bright Utah sun I removed the mask and sealed everything with matte varnish before going and painting with a brush.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Weekend of projects

This weekend was a  busy one for me as I noticed that I have a lot of various projects that I need to get done. Also with San Diego Comic Con coming up I need to figure out what costume to make. Here is what I busted out over the weekend. 
 This monster is an Eldar Vampire Hunter from Forgeworld. I am painting the basecoat colors for a friend and trying to build a base for him. So far painting the top color is what I've got done.

 This miniature is for a miniature swap event that I am doing with Geek Garage blog. Going for a metal with a  pink tone so it matches the color scheme of the owner's army.
 This beast is a Hordes Legion Archangel. I was finally able to get the kit cleaned, primed, and sub assembled. As big as it is I'll have to get innovated with handling while I paint.